National Council of Jewish Women Charleston Section records
The collection consists of the records of the Charleston Section of the National Council of Jewish Women. A substantial portion of the collection documents the Charleston Section's fundraising activities, charitable and educational programs, membership events, and 100th anniversary celebration through photographs, printed matter, newspaper clippings, and other materials. The collection also includes administrative records containing bylaws and mission statement; minutes; membership rosters; assorted resources distributed by NCJW national to local sections; correspondence; and clippings. Minutes from 1906 to 1950 and addendums and motions are photocopies of originals held by the Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the American Jewish Archives (AJA), on the Cincinnati Campus of Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion, while minutes from 1997 to 2010 consist of original typed and handwritten minutes. Also included is a small amount of financial materials consisting of several cashbooks recording deposits for membership and expenditures, financial statements, budget materials, and assorted publications including annuals and anniversary programs and newsletters. Two unbound scrapbooks containing photographs, clippings, correspondence, hand-drawn artwork and other ephemera document the history of the organization and its early activities.
Additions consist of assorted administrative records including miscellaneous CDs documenting events and programs, issues of the The Kibbitzer newsletter, information on program initiatives, public relations materials, research materials for the 100th anniversary booklet, a copy of the "Celebrtating 100 Years, 1906-2006" DVD, photographs of events, correspondence, board meeting minutes, and membership information.
- National Council of Jewish Women. Charleston Section (Organization)
Language of Material
Materials in English.
This collection is open for research but has use restrictions. Executive board and meeting minutes from 1906 to 1950 and addendums and motions are photocopies of originals held by the Jacob Rader Marcus Center of the American Jewish Archives (AJA), on the Cincinnati Campus of Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion. Materials may not be duplicated or published without explicit permission from the American Jewish Archives.
Additions to this collection have been minimally processed, but are open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Founded in Chicago in 1893 by Hannah G. Solomon, the National Council of Jewish Women (NCJW) is a national membership organization dedicated to religious, philanthropic, and educational endeavors. Rebecca O. Cohen, who also served as the Section's first president, organized the Charleston Section in 1906. NCJW's early volunteerism focused on assisting Eastern European immigrants and improving the lives of women, children, and families by offering vocational classes to teach job skills, providing public health services, supplying aid at home and abroad during World War I and II, and campaigning for social legislation regarding child labor, women's rights, and civil rights. The Charleston Section operated in the tri-county area of Berkeley, Charleston, and Dorchester Counties. Revenues used to support events and programs were acquired through admission fees, annual dues, fund raising activities, and contributions. In recent years the Charleston Section has sponsored projects to promote women's reproductive freedom and combat domestic violence, notably an annual 5k Walk Against Domestic Violence.
5.75 linear feet (10 document boxes, 3 slim document boxes, 1 flat box, 1 oversize paper folder)
The collection consists of the records of the Charleston Section of the National Council of Jewish Women. A substantial portion of the collection documents the Charleston Section's fundraising activities, charitable and educational programs, membership events, and 100th anniversary celebration through photographs, printed matter, newspaper clippings, and other materials. Also included are materials documenting its administrative and financial activities and early history.
- Administrative records, 1906-2011
- Financial records, 1934-2010
- Publications, 1912-2010
- Fundraisers, programs, and events, 1931-2012
- Scrapbooks, 1906-1996
- Accession 2016-42, 2005-2014
- Accession 2016-58, 2004-2016
- Accession 2016-60, 2002, 2010-2016
- Accession 2019-52, 1956, 1958, 1998
- Accession 2019-54, 1967, 2006-2018
Materials donated in 1996, 2000, 2009, 2012, 2016, and 2019 by Jaclyn Berlinsky, Frances Halio, Sandra Archambault, Marcia Silver Greenhill, and Gail Silverman.
Processed by Colleen O' Connor and Joshua Minor, October 2012. Accruals processed by Joshua Minor, November 2022.
- Charleston (S.C.)
- Fund raising -- South Carolina -- Charleston
- Jewish women -- South Carolina -- Charleston -- Charities
- Jews -- South Carolina -- Charleston -- Societies, etc.
- National Council of Jewish Women. Charleston Section
- black-and-white photographs
- clippings (information artifacts)
- color photographs
- financial statements
- fliers (printed matter)
- minutes (administrative records)
- photo CDs
- promotional materials
- Inventory of the National Council of Jewish Women Charleston Section Records, 1906-2018
- Processed by: Joshua Minor; machine-readable finding aid created by: Joshua Minor; accruals processed by: Joshua Minor
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Funding from the Council on Library and Information Resources supported the processing of this collection and encoding of the finding aid.