Skip to main content

Washington Light Infantry records

 Collection
Identifier: Mss 0052

Collection Overview

Collection contains typewritten transcriptions of the records (1820-1936) of the Washington Light Infantry compiled as a Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) project in 1935 and 1936, and one printed letter.

Dates

  • 1820-1936

Creator

Language of Material

Materials in English

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

Copyright Notice

The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.

The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.

Historical Note

The Washington Light Infantry was formed as a body of "citizen soldiers" in Charleston, South Carolina, in 1807 and incorporated in 1824. During the Civil War the Washington Light Infantry furnished Companies A and B of the 25th South Carolina Regiment (Hagood's Brigade, C.S.A.) and Co. A of the Hampton Legion Infantry, Army of Northern Virginia. The Washington Light Infantry continued as a charitable association after the Civil War and in 1874 united with the Washington Light Infantry Rifle Club as a military and charitable organization. In 1877, the Washington Light Infantry was chartered by the General Assembly of South Carolina as a military company in the 1st Regiment of Rifles, 4th Brigade, 1st Division of the South Carolina state troops.

Extent

0.5 linear feet (1 document box, 1 slim document box)

Abstract

The Washington Light Infantry was formed as a body of "citizen soldiers" in Charleston, South Carolina, in 1807 and incorporated in 1824. This collection contains typewritten transcriptions of their records (1820-1936) compiled during a Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) project in 1935 and 1936, and one printed letter.

Collection Arrangement

Materials are described at the folder level.

Processing Information

Processed by Special Collections staff, date unknown.

Title
Inventory of the Washington Light Infantry Records, 1820-1936
Status
Completed
Author
Processed by: Special Collections staff; machine-readable finding aid created by: Gillian Cote
Date
2012
Description rules
DACS
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Special Collections
College of Charleston Libraries
66 George Street
Charleston South Carolina 29424
(843) 953-8016
(843) 953-6319 (Fax)