Hospitals -- South Carolina
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: AMN 1032
Abstract Helen Evangeline Banks Harrison was born in Hampton, Virginia in 1898, to Issiah and Anna DeCosta Banks. Often called Evangeline, or Vangi, she attended city schools in Charleston, South Carolina, as well as Avery Normal Institute, and Howard University. In 1922 she married Armistead B. Harrison and in 1935, she began working as a clerk in the out patient clinic of Charleston's segregated Hospital and Training School for Nurses. Harrison became Medical Records Librarian...
Dates: approximately 1850-1985
Identifier: AMN 1058
Abstract From 1896 until 1959, the Hospital and Training School for Nurses, Incorporated (Chartered 1897) provided education and training for African-American nurses to assist physicians and serve the medical needs of the local community. Located at 135 Cannon Street until 1959, this first building and hospital moved to 25 Courtenay Drive, and would become McClennan-Banks Memorial Hospital. Named in honor of Anna DeCosta Banks, its founder and first head nurse this hospital operated until 1977. The...
Dates: 1898-1997, undated
File — Box 69: Series Series 2, Folder: 11
Identifier: Series 2
Scope and Contents From the Sub-Series:
Contains correspondence and reports. Listed alphabetically.
Found in: Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture / AMN 1146, Lucille Simmons Whipper papers / Series 2: Political Career / 2.4: State of South Carolina Legislative Branch-The General Assembly: House of Representatives: The Honorable Lucille Whipper / 2.4.14: Charleston County and City Departments and Organizations / 220.127.116.11: City of Charleston: Departments Offices, Organizations and Businesses / 18.104.22.168.3: City of Charleston: Organizations