Skip to main content

McClennan-Banks Memorial Hospital collection

 Collection
Identifier: AMN 1058

Scope and Contents

Photocopied materials comprise the majority of this collection. The Waring Historical Library of the Medical University of South Carolina, the Rockefellow Archive Center, and the private collection of Phyllis Lee LaRoche hold the originals of these photocopied documents. The papers document the history of the training school and hospital, and consist of four small series. Series 1-Hospital History and Administration Documents: Contains materials on the history and administration of the hospital, including correspondence to Dr. Thomas Carr McFall. Series 2-Journals and Docaments: Holds photocopies of printed materials: publications (including copies of an almost complete run of The Hospital Herald from 1899-1900); newspaper clippings (bulk 1950s), with slight information on African-American physician Lucy Hughes Brown, with documents from commencement exercises. Series 3-Photographs: Consists of copies of photographs of autographs. Consists of copies of photographs of nurses. Series 4-Hospital Closure/Memorial Documents: Reflects the closing and memorialization of the hospital, including reports (1970s) by the Hospital Feasibility Committee on the hospital’s future and documents regarding the placement of a commemorative marker. Also holds various materials of a 1963 survey of the health facilities in Charleston County, a banner celebrating the birth of the last boy in the hospital, and the voter registration card (1907) of Sam Lee.

Dates

  • 1898-1997, undated

Conditions Governing Use

The nature of the Avery Research Center's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The Avery Research Center claims only physical ownership of most archival materials. The materials from our collections are made available for use in reseearch, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of materials, including but not limited to, infrigement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.

Biographical / Historical

What became McClennan-Banks Memorial Hospital was organized in 1896 by Dr. Alonzo C. McClennan and other African-American physicians in Charleston, SC, as the Hospital and Training School for Nurses, Inc. (Chartered 1897). Its mission was to provide African-American nurses with the education and training to assist physicians and to serve the medical needs of the local community. A three-story building was opened on 135 Cannon Street, and operated until 1959, when a new hospital was built at 25 Courtenay Drive. Named in honor of Anna DeCosta Banks, its founder and its first head nurse, the McClennan-Banks Memorial Hospital remained open until 1977, when the building was leased to the Charleston County Substance Abuse Commission.

Extent

0.5 linear feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

From 1896 until 1959, the Hospital and Training School for Nurses, Incorporated (Chartered 1897) provided education and training for African-American nurses to assist physicians and serve the medical needs of the local community. Located at 135 Cannon Street until 1959, this first building and hospital moved to 25 Courtenay Drive, and would become McClennan-Banks Memorial Hospital. Named in honor of Anna DeCosta Banks, its founder and first head nurse this hospital operated until 1977. The papers contain photocopied materials from the original documents housed with the Waring Historical Library of the Medical University of South Carolina, Rockefeller Archive Center, and the private collection of Phyllis Lee LaRoche. The papers document the history of the training school and hospital, and consist of four small series, the last of which contains miscellany.

Title
McClennan-Banks Memorial Hospital Papers
Status
Completed
Author
Edited for ArchivesSpace by Georgette Mayo
Date
July 2020 (revised)
Description rules
DACS
Language of description
English
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture Repository

Contact:
125 Bull Street
Charleston South Carolina 29424 United States
843-953-7608