Philip Porcher account book, 1776-1882 (typescript)
A typewritten, annotated transcription (1936) of a volume which consists of a plantation journal (1776-1882) possibly begun by Philip Porcher (1730-1800). The volume, which was copied as a W.P.A. project, also contains additions by other Porcher family members. Philip Porcher's plantation journal consists primarily of financial accounts with numerous individuals; accounts for the sale of rice, corn, indigo, and other items; copies of correspondence related to the accounts; medical "receipts"; lists of slaves at Cedar Springs plantation; entries concerning the distribution of hoes and blankets to slaves; and other miscellaneous entries. A later addition "by Mrs. Philip Edward Porcher, August 18th 1900" contains information concerning Oldfield Plantation in St. Stephen's Parish, South Carolina copied from the "Plat of Plantation belonging to Thomas Cordes Porcher" (1839).
- Porcher, Philip, 1730-1800 (Person)
- Porcher, Elizabeth Catherine Palmer, 1833- (Person)
- United States. Works Progress Administration (Organization)
Language of Material
Materials in English.
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
St. Stephen's Parish, South Carolina, plantation owner and South Carolina state Representative.
0.25 linear feet (1 slim document box)
Location of Originals
Journal was copied "from the original, owned by Philip G. Porcher, Mount Pleasant, S.C." in 1936. Now in the South Caroliniana Library, Columbia, S.C.
- Berkeley County (S.C.) -- History
- Cedar Springs Plantation (S.C.)
- Enslaved persons -- South Carolina -- Berkeley County
- Oldfield Plantation (Berkeley County, S.C.)
- Plantations -- South Carolina -- Berkeley County
- Porch family
- Porcher, Philip, 1730-1800
- Porcher, Thomas Cordes, 1809-1862
- Slave records -- South Carolina -- Berkeley County
- South Carolina -- History
- journals (accounts)
- Inventory of the Philip Porcher Account Book, 1776-1882 (typescript), 1936
- Processed by: Special Collections staff; finding aid created by: Special Collections staff
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description