German Friendly Society records
Typescript copies (1935-1940) of minutes (1766-1858) include lists of the names of members attending each meeting, the names of officers and committee members, treasurer's reports, exchanges of stock certificates, lists of the Society's assets (stocks, bonds, real estate, school fund), and other related notes. Included is an inventory of the contents of the Society's lot and building (1817 March 12). Entries note the creation of the Society School (1802), the opening of a female school (1829), and the creation of a library and a museum (circa 1829).
Transcribed from the original by Mabel Whiting, Mabel S. Johnson, Agnes P. Lyons, Julia W. Reynolds, Hazel R. Key, Elise Thompson, and Ann E. Morris during 1935-1940 for the Historical Research Division of Women's and Professional Projects, Work Progress Administration (W.P.A.), sponsored by the College of Charleston. The Society has both "Finished" and "Rough" minutes in their collections, some of which are damaged and in poor condition. Most typescript copies do not note which book was used during the project.
- German Friendly Society (Charleston, S.C.) (Organization)
- United States. Works Progress Administration (Organization)
Language of Material
Materials in English.
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
The German Friendly Society, a social and benevolent organization, was founded in Charleston, South Carolina in 1766 by Michael Kalteisen. After petitioning the South Carolina legislature, the Society was incorporated in 1791. The Society issued stock and made charitable contributions.
0.75 linear feet (1 document box, 1 slim document box)
The German Friendly Society was a social and benevolent organization founded in Charleston, South Carolina in 1766. This collection contains typewritten transcriptions of their meeting minutes (1766-1858) compiled during a Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) project from 1935-1940.
Materials are described at the folder level.
Copied from records at the German Friendly Society.
Processed by Special Collections staff, date unknown.
- Inventory of the German Friendly Society Records, 1766-1940
- Processed by: Special Collections staff; machine-readable finding aid created by: Gillian Cote
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections Repository
College of Charleston Libraries
66 George Street
Charleston South Carolina 29424
(843) 953-6319 (Fax)