Southern Jewish Historical Society records-Part II
Meeting minutes, correspondence, reports, programs, and publications of the Southern Jewish Historical Society (SJHS). This finding aid describes the second accession (Part II) of the SJHS records. Part I has significant overlap with Part II in regards to chronology and subject matter. Topics include conference planning, membership, publicity, and projects of the Southern Jewish Historical Society. The collection also includes material regarding the SJHS journal and newsletter, board of directors, grant proposals, authors of publications on southern Jewish history, and research material. Subjects include Jewish participation in the Civil War; southern Jewish families, including the Levy family of Monticello; and the 350th anniversary of Jewish settlement in America.
The accruals consist mostly of conference-related documents, office records, meeting minutes, and reports with two DVD documentaries and a collection of tote bags.
- Southern Jewish Historical Society (U.S.) (Organization)
Language of Material
Materials in English
This collection is open for research. Parts of this collection have been minimally processed, but are open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
The Southern Jewish Historical Society (SJHS) was founded in 1958 and re-established in 1976 by Saul Viener as a society for historians, archivists, and researchers to convene and discuss southern Jewish history. SJHS holds an annual conference in alternating southern states to present papers, hold panel discussions, and tour local Jewish historical sites. SJHS also publishes a quarterly newsletter, The Rambler; and an annual journal, Southern Jewish History; and distributes awards and grants for research and publications relating to southern Jewish history. Participating states are Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, and West Virginia.
16.25 linear feet (3 cartons, 27 document boxes, 2 slim document boxes, 2 flat file boxes, 5 videocassettes, 6 audiocassettes, 25 miscellaneous audiovisual format items)
Meeting minutes, correspondence, reports, programs, publications, and other administrative records of part II of the Southern Jewish Historical Society (SJHS). Materials relate to the organization and function of SJHS with resources relevant to southern Jewish History.
- Administration and operations, 1978-2010
- Conferences, 1976-2007
- Membership, 1987-2007
- Publications and projects, 1958-2009
- Resources, 1986-2006
- Accession 2013-25, 1958-2007
- Accession 2015-02, 1988-2014
- Accession 2015-06, 2006-2007
- Accession 2017-92, 2015
- Accession 2018-66, 1996-1999, undated
- Accession 2018-78, 2000-2016
- Accession 2019-46, 2007-2019
Materials donated at various times from 1997-2009 by representatives for the Southern Jewish Historical Society: Berkley Kalin, Sid and Helen Silver, Barbara Tahsler, Cathy Kahn, Marcy Ferris, and Bernard Wax.
Later accruals were donated at various times from 2013-2019 by representatives including Mark Bauman, Dale Rosengarten, Rachel B. Heimovics, and Deborah R. Weiner.
Further accruals are expected.
Processed by Melissa Bronheim, March 2011. Accruals processed by Lauren Bickel, August 2022.
- Southern Jewish Historical Society (U.S.) (Donor, Organization)
- Silver, Helen, 1922-2003 (Donor, Person)
- Silver, Sidney, 1919-2013 (Donor, Person)
- Ferris, Marcie Cohen (Donor, Person)
- Kalin, Berkley, 1936- (Donor, Person)
- Tahsler, Barbara (Donor, Person)
- Kahn, Cathy (Donor, Person)
- Wax, Bernard (Donor, Person)
- Rosengarten, Dale, 1948- (Donor, Person)
- Bauman, Mark K., 1946- (Donor, Person)
- Heimovics, Rachel B. (Donor, Person)
- Weiner, Deborah R. (Donor, Person)
- Inventory of the Southern Jewish Historical Society Records-Part II, 1958-2010
- Processed by: Melissa Bronheim; machine-readable finding aid created by: Sarah Dorpinghaus; accruals processed by: Lauren Bickel 2022
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Funding from the Council on Library and Information Resources supported the processing of this collection and encoding of the finding aid.