Lois and Raphael Wolpert photographs of Beth Israel Congregation
This collection consists of photographs taken by Lois and Raphael Wolpert documenting the activities of Beth Israel Congregation in Florence, South Carolina. Included are images of the Junior Choir, religious school students, a confirmation service, and a groundbreaking ceremony for the addition and renovation of the temple.
Language of Material
Materials in English
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Lois and Raphael "Ray" Wolpert, formerly of Marion, South Carolina, were active members of Beth Israel Congregation. Beth Israel, incorporated on September 27, 1912, was established as a Reform congregation to serve the growing Jewish community in Florence, South Carolina. Religious services were held in various locations until a permanent building was completed in July of 1949 on Park Avenue. As the congregation continued to grow, the need for larger facilities became apparent. Dr. Raphael Wolpert served as chairman of the Future Expansion Fund and on the Building Committee responsible for the 1969 addition and renovation of Temple Beth Israel. Lois Wolpert was a member of the Beth Israel Sisterhood, an organization directly involved in the daily activities of the congregation.
10 items (1 folder)
This collection consists of ten photographs taken by Lois and Raphael Wolpert documenting various events and people associated with Beth Israel Congregation in Florence, South Carolina.
Materials are described at the item level.
Materials donated in 2009 by Lois and Raphael Wolpert.
Processed by Anne Bennett, July 2011.
- Inventory of the Lois and Raphael Wolpert Photographs of Beth Israel Congregation, 1956-1974
- Processed by: Anne Bennett; machine-readable finding aid created by: Sarah Dorpinghaus
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Funding from the Council on Library and Information Resources supported the processing of this collection and encoding of the finding aid.