Byrnes Downs Garden Club scrapbook
This scrapbook documents the history, projects, and activities of the Byrnes Downs Garden Club from 1948 to 1953. It contains photographs, newspaper clippings, typed histories and explanatory notes, year books including the organization's constitution and membership lists (1948-1953), programs and awards from special events, and one map of metropolitan Charleston from 1945 that details neighborhoods. It also includes ink drawings on some pages and paintings on the front and back covers.
- Byrnes Downs Garden Club (Charleston, S.C.) (Organization)
Language of Material
Materials in English
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
On Jan. 15, 1948, fifteen women assembled to form the Byrnes Downs Garden Club. According to the Club's constitution, their mission was to: "improve and beautify our community, to coordinate and stimulate interest in gardening, [and] to aid in the protection of our wild flowers and birds." They started by installing street signs and lights, selling and planting trees, and clearing a vacant lot. In December 1953, the Byrnes Downs Garden Club became the West Ashley Garden Club.
1.0 linear feet (1 flat box)
This collection consists of a scrapbook documenting the history, projects, and activities of the Byrnes Downs Garden Club (Charleston, S.C.) from 1948 to 1953.
Materials are described at the item level.
Donated by Margaret Thorne Seidler.
Alternate Form of Materials
Digital reproduction available online in the Lowcountry Digital Library.
Processed by Martha McTear, July 2009.
- Byrnes Downs (Charleston, S.C.) -- History
- Byrnes Downs (Charleston, S.C.) -- Social life and customs
- Byrnes Downs Garden Club (Charleston, S.C.) -- History
- Charleston (S.C.) -- History
- Charleston (S.C.) -- Social life and customs
- Gardening -- South Carolina -- Charleston
- Programs (Publications)
- Women -- South Carolina -- Charleston -- Societies and clubs
- clippings (information artifacts)
- freehand drawings (drawings)
- maps (documents)
- membership lists
- paintings (visual works)
- Inventory of the Byrnes Downs Garden Club Scrapbook, 1948-1953
- Processed by: Martha McTear; machine-readable finding aid created by: Martha McTear
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description