African Americans -- South Carolina -- Charleston -- History
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 12 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: AMN 1005
Abstract The Brown Fellowship Society was a benevolent society of free African-American and racially mixed men, affiliated with St. Philip's Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina.The collection consists of organizational materials of the Brown Fellowship Society, including a corrected copy of Charles H. Holloway's Rules and Regulations of the Brown Fellowship Society as founded in 1794, but not published until 1844. Minute books detail the...
Identifier: AMN 1015
Abstract Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church, an African-American church, formed after the Civil War with the withdrawal of African-American members from Trinity United Methodist Church. In 1866, the congregation purchased its current building at 60 Wentworth Street, Charleston, South Carolina.The records in this collection cover the beginning of Centenary Methodist Episcopal Church (1866-1978). The collection is divided into two series: Member Records and Financial Records. Member...
Dates: 1857-1994; Majority of material found within 1866-1969
Identifier: AMN 1128
Abstract DeReef Court is a former African-American residential housing community in the City of Charleston, South Carolina established in 1854. Named after Joseph and Richard Edward DeReef, free men of color who were successful entrepreneurial brothers. Presently, the residential park known as DeReef Park represents the last green space in the Cannonborough/Elliotborough neighborhood.The collection holds ancestral histories, photocopied deeds and census reports regarding the DeReef...
Dates: 1854-2012; Majority of material found within 1990-2012
Identifier: AMN 1009
Abstract The Friendly Moralist Society was a benevolent society, established in Charleston South Carolina, 1838 for free men of color (mulatto or mixed race). The group served the community by providing burial aid, purchasing plots and assisting during funerals, for those in need. The organization also worked to provide charitable assistance to needy widows and orphans of deceased members. Each member was entitled to certain rights of membership, namely financial assistance in times of illness or...
Dates: 1841-1856, and undated
Identifier: AMN 1130
Abstract Julia Waites Alston Gourdine (1923-2009), an African-American elementary school educator who worked in the Charleston County School District for thirty-five years. Alston Gourdine was also an integral Senior Trustee Board member of Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church in Charleston, South Carolina. She married Robert H. Gourdine, Jr. in 1944, and they had one son, Robert H. Gourdine, III.The collection contains documents and photographs relating to Gourdine's...
Dates: 1880-2002; Majority of material found within 1950-1996
Identifier: AMN 1011
Abstract Henry Lacy Grant (1925-1990) was born in North Augusta, Georgia to Henry L. Grant and Lillie Lacy Grant. An ordained Episcopal priest, Father Grant served the East Side community of Charleston, South Carolina for over twenty years as director of St. John's Mission Center and priest of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church. Father Grant is buried at Live Oak Memorial Gardens in Charleston, South Carolina. The collection consists of correspondence, newspaper clippings, compilations, and miscellaneous...
Identifier: AMN 1032
Abstract Helen Evangeline Banks Harrison was born in Hampton, Virginia in 1898, to Issiah and Anna DeCosta Banks. Often called Evangeline, or Vangi, she attended city schools in Charleston, South Carolina, as well as Avery Normal Institute, and Howard University. In 1922 she married Armistead B. Harrison and in 1935, she began working as a clerk in the out patient clinic of Charleston's segregated Hospital and Training School for Nurses. Harrison became Medical Records Librarian...
Dates: approximately 1850-1985
Identifier: AMN 1063
Abstract Charleston (S.C.) orphanage for African American children, founded in 1891 by Rev. Daniel Joseph Jenkins. The Orphan Aid Society (chartered 1892) was the governing board of the orphanage. Organized by members of the church where Rev. Jenkins was pastor, the Society furnished much of the financial support for the orphanage's efforts to provide education, training, skills, and care to orphans, half orphans, and wayward and destitute children. After Jenkins' death his widow, Mrs. Eloise C....
Identifier: AMN 1083
Abstract Anna D. Kelly (1913-2007) is known for her efforts to connect Lowcountry African Americans with the Highlander Folk School, most notably recruiting Septima Clark. A graduate of the Avery Normal Institute in Charleston, South Carolina, Kelly was a charter member of the Avery Institute of African American History and Culture. She then played a crucial role in establishment of the Avery Research Center.The collection includes personal papers and photographs related to Anna D. Kelly...
Identifier: AMN 1026
Abstract Mt. Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church was founded in 1882 in Charleston, South Carolina after the church divided from Emmanuel AME Church in Charleston, due to its inability to accommodate all its members. The new congregation, led by Norman B. Sterrett, purchased the Zion Presbyterian Church building on Glebe Street. The collection consist of two separate series, each in chronological order. The first series of member and financial records contains information regarding members of the...