Irish Volunteers Company records
Records include two typescript copies (original and carbon) of the "The History of the Irish Volunteers Company" (from 1798-1836) by F.M. Salley copied from the original by Agnes P. Lyons, and a typescript copy of minutes (1884-1901, 1915-1929) of the Irish Volunteers copied by Elise Thompson and Frederica B. Keller. Both manuscripts were copied during 1935-1937 Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) projects. Minutes include the names of elected officers, financial reports, resolutions, names of committee members, and annual reports.
- Irish Volunteers Company (Charleston, S.C.) (Organization)
Language of Material
Materials in English
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Organized in Charleston, South Carolina about 1798. The Irish Volunteers included many prominent members of the Hibernian Society who served as officers. Originally part of the 28th Regiment of the South Carolina Militia, the Irish Volunteers Company was first on active service in the War of 1812 where they served on patrol and constructed defenses. The Irish Volunteers supported Nullification in 1832 and served in the Seminole War (1836) and the Mexican War. During the American Civil War the Irish Volunteers became Company K, First Regiment, South Carolina Volunteers of the Confederate States of America Army under command of Captain W.H. Ryan.
In 1916 the unit was called upon to patrol the Mexican border from attacks by Pancho Villa. During World War I the unit became the 105th Ammunition Train. Following the war the Irish Volunteers was maintained as a veterans' social organization.
0.25 linear feet (1 slim document box)
Organized in Charleston, South Carolina about 1798, the Irish Volunteers Company was first on active service in the War of 1812 where they served on patrol and constructed defenses. This collection contains typescript copies of "The History of the Irish Volunteers Company" (1798-1836) and minutes from organizational meetings from 1884-1901 and 1915-1929. They were transcribed during a Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) project from 1935 to 1937.
Materials are described at the folder level.
When copied for the W.P.A. project, the Salley manuscript was in the possession of Dr. W. Cyril O'Driscoll of Charleston, South Carolina, and the original minutes were in the possession of Matthew A. Condon.
Alternate Form of Materials
Digital reproduction available online in the Lowcountry Digital Library.
Processed by Special Collections staff, date unknown
- Irish Volunteers Company (Charleston, S.C.) -- History
- Irish Volunteers Company (Charleston, S.C.) -- Records and correspondence
- Military service, Voluntary -- South Carolina -- Charleston
- South Carolina -- History -- 1775-1865
- South Carolina. Militia. Regiment, 28th
- minutes (administrative records)
- Inventory of the Irish Volunteers Company Records, 1798-1929
- Processed by: Special Collections staff; machine-readable finding aid created by: Gillian Cote
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description