Thomas Robert receipt book
This small volume appears to have been used by both Thomas Robert and Peter Robert. The back cover is inscribed "Peter Robert, 1781: Memorandum Book." Most entries pertain to Thomas Robert and include receipts (1776-1779), lists of slaves (n.d.), and a note (1778) by William Newman which is addressed to Capt. Samuel Little and certifies that Thomas Robert "enrolled and has done duty in my company this 26th November 1778." One receipt was written in Charleston (S.C.). Other entries include a "Recipe for consumption," and a "Memorandum of expenses for 1792 at Murrays Ferry" which lists expenses for food and "ferriage" from January 22 to November 19, 1792.
Language of Material
Materials in English.
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
- Charleston (S.C.)
- Enslaved persons -- South Carolina
- Ferries -- South Carolina -- Berkeley County
- Little, Samuel, active 1778
- Medicine, Chinese -- Formulae, receipts, prescriptions
- Murray's Ferry (Berkeley County, S.C.)
- Newman, William, active 1778
- Robert, Peter, active 1781
- Robert, Thomas, active 1776-1792
- Slave records
- South Carolina -- History
- lists (document genres)
- receipts (financial records)
- Inventory of the Thomas Robert Receipt Book, 1772-1792
- Processed by: Special Collections staff; finding aid created by: Special Collections staff
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description