Florence Hebrew Benevolent Association records
Collection contains minute book, financial records, cemetery records, publications, and assorted papers of the Florence Hebrew Benevolent Association, formed in 1887 in Florence, South Carolina. Minute book contains the constitution, by-laws, and minutes of the first six meetings held between 1887 and 1889, and the minutes from a 1958 meeting. Financial records consist of cashbooks listing shareholder names, donations, expenses, plot purchases, quarterly dues paid, and expenses of the association, a bank deposit book listing deposits of the Hebrew Benevolent Association, and a certified copy of deed for lot of land on the Northwest intersection of Elm Street and Railroad Avenue. Also included are cemetery records consisting of a burial register listing names, ages, dates of birth, dates of death, residing towns, and grave numbers of deceased and a cemetery plot listing owners and the names of those buried within. Publications include Synagogue Research, Survey #5: Cemetery Operations and Procedures, a 1970 Temple Beth Israel dedication program, and "Beth Israel Congregation—Then and Now" by Beatrice K. Rogol. Collection also includes correspondence and miscellaneous papers containing blank cemetery plot purchase forms and maintenance agreements.
- Hebrew Benevolent Association (Florence, S.C.) (Organization)
Language of Material
Materials in English
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
The Florence Hebrew Benevolent Association, a Jewish fraternal organization and the genesis of Beth Israel Congregation, was formed in 1887 in Florence, South Carolina. The organization was established to "unite the Hebrews of Florence and surrounding country into a fraternal and benevolent association and to assist needy Israelites," and to obtain "a suitable burying ground" for its members. In November of that same year the society purchased land for its cemetery lot from the Northeast Railroad for $50.00. On September 27, 1912, a Certificate of Incorporation was filed with the State of South Carolina establishing Beth Israel Congregation.
0.42 linear feet (1 document box)
Minute book, financial records, cemetery records, publications, and assorted papers of the Florence Hebrew Benevolent Association, a Jewish fraternal organization and the genesis of the Beth Israel Congregation, formed in 1887 in Florence, South Carolina.
Materials are described at the folder level.
Materials donated in 2009 by Harold Kornblut.
Processed by Joshua Minor, August 2012.
- Associations, institutions, etc. -- South Carolina -- Florence
- Beth Israel Congregation (Florence, S.C.)
- Florence (S.C.)
- Fraternal organizations -- South Carolina -- Florence
- Hebrew Benevolent Association (Florence, S.C.)
- burial registers
- minute books
- notes (documents)
- publications (documents)
- Kornblut, Harold (Donor, Person)
- Inventory of the Florence Hebrew Benevolent Asssociation Records, 1887-1991
- Processed by: Joshua Minor; machine-readable finding aid created by: Joshua Minor
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Funding from the Council on Library and Information Resources supported the processing of this collection and encoding of the finding aid.
Part of the Special Collections Repository
College of Charleston Libraries
66 George Street
Charleston South Carolina 29424
(843) 953-6319 (Fax)