Harold Schreiner photographs
The collection consists of approximately 42 photographs showing war damage in Germany taken in 1945 by Harold Schreiner, a U.S. Army tank commander. Photographs show the ruins of Berchtesgaden and other areas in Germany; U.S. troops, tanks, and other equipment; and damaged German military equipment, including airplanes, tanks, and guns. Other images include 14 Holocaust atrocity photographs from Dachau concentration camp.
- Schreiner, Harold, 1917-2005 (Person)
Language of Material
Materials in English
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Harold Schreiner served in the U.S. Army as a tank commander in the 20th Armored Division, 27th Tank Battalion, during World War II. He participated in the liberation of Dachau concentration camp, and took photographs to document the atrocities committed there.
0.1 linear feet (2 folders)
The collection consists of approximately 42 photographs taken in 1945 by Harold Schreiner, a U.S. Army tank commander. These images show war damage in Germany and include 14 Holocaust atrocity photographs from Dachau concentration camp.
Materials are described at the folder level.
Materials donated in 2005 by Carey Lee Hudson.
Processed by Rebecca McClure, October 2011.
- Dachau (Concentration camp)
- Dachau (Germany)
- Holocaust, Jewish (1939-1945)
- United States. Army
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Atrocities
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Concentration camps -- Germany
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Destruction and pillage -- Germany
- black-and-white negatives
- black-and-white photographs
- black-and-white slides
- digital images
- Hudson, Carey Lee (Donor, Person)
- Inventory of the Harold Schreiner Photographs, 1945
- Processed by: Rebecca McClure; machine-readable finding aid created by:
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Funding from the Council on Library and Information Resources supported the processing of this collection and encoding of the finding aid.
Part of the Special Collections Repository
College of Charleston Libraries
66 George Street
Charleston South Carolina 29424
(843) 953-6319 (Fax)