George Smith Adams papers
This collection consists mostly of George Smith Adams' family research, with the majority of materials documenting his father George Alexander Adams (1887-1984), mother Theodora Elizabeth Smith Adams (1888-1983), grandfather Daniel Townsend Smith (1842-1929), and great grandfather Thomas Peter Smith (1814-1899). Also included are materials relating to his extended family and their surrounding areas, especially the Landgrave Smiths, Medway Plantation, Bleak Hall, Edisto Island, Charleston, and a small number of items relating to Gone with the Wind.
- Majority of material found within 1925-1999
- Adams, George Smith, 1923-2018 (Person)
Language of Material
Materials in English
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
George Smith Adams, a descendant of Smith, Townsend and other South Carolina families, was born January 1, 1923, in Greenville, S.C. A veteran of World War II, and a professional engineer, he married Virginia Juanita Lester (1922-2003) May 10, 1951 in Atlanta, Ga. Mr. Adams later moved from Florida to Summerville, S.C. An avid researcher, he has collected information and primary materials on his ancestors and documented their lives before, during and after the Civil War, on Edisto Island, in Charleston and Greenville, S.C. and elsewhere.
4.8 linear feet (12 document boxes, 1 oversize folder)
Mainly George Smith Adams' genealogical research documenting his father George Alexander Adams (1887-1984), mother Theodora Elizabeth Smith Adams (1888-1983), grandfather Daniel Townsend Smith (1842-1929) with data on the Washington Artillery, and great grandfather Thomas Peter Smith (1814-1899). Also included are materials relating to his extended family and their surrounding areas, especially the Townsend family, Medway Plantation, Edisto Island, Charleston, South Carolina.
- George Smith Adams and immediate family, 1922-2010 (bulk 1935-1975)
- Thomas Peter Smith, 1814-1903
- Daniel Townsend Smith, 1842-1929
- Smith family research
- Edisto Island
- Gone with the Wind materials
Materials were donated in February 2011 by Joe McAdam, power of attorney for George Smith Adams.
Bound pamphlets and books originally with the collection have been removed and catalogued separately.
Processed by Cara McHugh, March 2013.
- Adams, George Alexander, 1887-1984
- Adams, George Smith, 1923-2018
- Adams, Theodora Elizabeth Smith, 1888-1983
- Charleston (S.C.) -- Genealogy
- Confederate States of America. Army. Washington Artillery Battalion (New Orleans, La.)
- Edisto Island (S.C.) -- Genealogy
- Medway (S.C.) -- Genealogy
- Smith family
- Smith, Daniel Townsend, 1842-1929
- Smith, Thomas Peter, 1814-1903
- South Carolina -- Genealogy
- Townsend family
- black-and-white photographs
- charts (graphic documents)
- clippings (information artifacts)
- color photographs
- research notes
- Adams, George Smith, 1923-2018 (Donor, Person)
- Inventory of the George Smith Adams Papers, 1826-2010
- Processed by: Cara McHugh; machine-readable finding aid created by: Cara McHugh
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections Repository
College of Charleston Libraries
66 George Street
Charleston South Carolina 29424
(843) 953-6319 (Fax)