Dr. Dewey M. Duckett, Sr. papers
The collection contains three series. The first series consists of correspondence mainly regarding civil rights. The second series contains writings, speeches, and lectures related to Duckett's position as a doctor, civil rights activist, and member of the Council on Human Relatoins. The third series addresses duckett's affiliations such as the Palmetto Medical, Dental and Pharmaceutical Association, the S.C. Commission on Civil Rights, and the Practical Nursing Program. It also includes miscellaneous materials on civil rights, and a 1989 Duckett family reunion.
- Majority of material found within 1952-1964
- Duckett, Dewey M., 1900-1964 (Person)
The nature of the Avery Research Center's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The Avery Research Center claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Dewey M. Duckett, Sr., DMD (1900-1964) of Rock Hill, SC was a Civil Rights activist and physician. He worked with the South Carolina Advisory Committee to the National Commission on Civil Rights investigating complaints by citizens regarding discrimination. Similarly, he was actively involved in the South Carolina Council on Human Relations (later Council on Human Rights). He was also an advocate of the African American organization Palmetto Medical, Dental, and Pharmaceutical Association until 1946.
0.5 linear feet
Language of Materials
- African American dentists
- African Americans -- Civil rights -- South Carolina -- Rock Hill -- History
- African Americans in medicine -- South Carolina
- Duckett, Dewey M., 1900-1964
- Marshall, Thurgood, 1908-1993
- Palmetto Medical, Dental, and Pharmaceutical Association
- Political action committees -- South Carolina
- Practical nursing
- Race discrimination -- South Carolina -- History
- United States Commission on Civil Rights. South Carolina Advisory Committee
- Dr. Dewey M. Duckett, Sr. papers
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Latin (Fraktur variant)