"Proceedings : Elliott Society of Natural History," 1853-1901, (photocopy)
Printed bookplate reads "Chrestomathic Library No. 160, Presented by H.M. Burns." Volume entitled "Proceedings: Elliott Society of Natural History" contains handwritten minutes of meetings, printed copies of minutes, broadsides concerning the society and its members, clippings about Society meetings, and post cards from individuals wishing to join the Society. Minutes note contributions to the Society's museum and library collections, papers accepted for publication in the society's proceedings (published 1856-1890), and information about papers delivered or topics discussed at meetings. Prominent members included Francis S. Holmes (the Society's first secretary), Lewis R. Gibbes (president of the Society for 30 years), Rev. John Bachman (also a president of the Society), and Gabriel E. Manigault (curator of the College Museum).
Language of Material
Materials in English.
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
The Elliott Society was named in honor of Stephen Elliott, who had been the president of the Literary and Philosophical Society of South Carolina (ceased existence by 1853). The Elliott Society was a revival of the earlier society in purpose and membership. Established in Charleston, South Carolina, for "the cultivation of Natural History, to possess a collection of specimens in all departments of that Science" the Elliott Society was closely allied with the College of Charleston (all the science instructors on the faculty were either founders or early members). In 1857 the Elliott Society resolved to give its specimens to the Museum of the College of Charleston, a municipal college, and to deposit books, drawings, charts, and other materials there. The Society's curators, however, would continue to have charge of the materials. In 1859 the Elliott Society of Natural History changed its name to the Elliott Society of Science and Art. The Society suspended activities during several intervals in the nineteenth century but continued to exist until 1901.
0.25 linear feet (1 slim document box)
Location of Originals
Originals at the Charleston Museum (Charleston, S.C.).
- Bachman, John, 1790-1874
- College of Charleston
- Elliott Society of Natural History -- Records and correspondence
- Elliott Society of Science & Art -- Records and correspondence
- Gibbes, Lewis Reeves, 1810-1894
- Holmes, F. S. (Francis Simmons), 1815-1882
- Manigault, Gabriel E. (Gabriel Edward), 1833-1899
- Natural history -- Societies, etc.
- South Carolina -- History
- broadsides (notices)
- clippings (information artifacts)
- minutes (administrative records)
- Inventory of the "Proceedings : Elliott Society of Natural History," 1853-1901, (photocopy)
- Processed by: Special Collections staff; finding aid created by: Special Collections staff
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description