John's Island-Wadmalaw Island Citizens' Council records, 1955-1956 (photocopies)
The collection consists of photocopies of materials from the John's Island-Wadmalaw Island Citizens' Council. It includes minutes from council meetings, correspondence with S. Emory Rogers, minutes from the organization's meetings, and a membership list of state officers and local members. Rogers was the Executive Secretary of the Association of Citizens' Councils of South Carolina. The collection also includes several publications from the Grass Roots League, Inc. The Grass Roots League published propaganda supporting racial segregation.
- John's Island-Wadmalaw Island Citizens' Council (Organization)
Language of Material
Materials in English.
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
The first Citizens' Councils formed in Mississippi to protest the Brown v. Board of Education decision in 1954. South Carolina's first Councils appeared in 1955. Local chapters were members of the Association of Citizens' Councils of South Carolina and the Citizens' Councils of America.
- African Americans -- South Carolina -- Segregation
- Association of Citizens' Councils of South Carolina
- Citizens' Councils of America
- Grass Roots League, Inc.
- John's Island-Wadmalaw Island Citizens' Council
- Rogers, S. Emory -- Correspondence
- Segregation -- South Carolina
- South Carolina -- Race relations -- History -- 20th century
- membership lists
- minutes (administrative records)
- Inventory of the John's Island-Wadmalaw Island Citizens' Council Records, 1955-1956 (Photocopies), undated
- Processed by: Special Collections staff; finding aid created by: Special Collections staff
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description