Kalushiner Society minute book
Handwritten minute book of the Kalushiner Society of Charleston, South Carolina, from October 1927 to December 1936, mostly in Yiddish with some English.
- Kalushiner Society (Charleston, S.C.) (Organization)
Language of Material
Materials predominately in Yiddish with some English.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
The Independent Kalushiner Society was a mutual aid society founded by Charleston residents who had immigrated from the shtetl of Kaluszyn in Poland. It was Charleston’s only landsmanshaft, or society of landsman. The Kaluszyners (anglicized as Kalushiner) practiced chain migration, with settled immigrants sponsoring the immigration of another Kaluszyner, usually a friend or relative; the Kalushiner community was prominent in founding Beth Israel synagogue (sometimes called the Kalushiner Shul). Walter H. Solomon, Noah Sokol, M. Toporek, and J. Zucker founded the organization, and I. M. Goldberg served as first president. The society was founded in 1921 and provided members with benefits like no-interest loans, assistance when ill, and group insurance rates. Funds to help the needy were also sent home to Kaluszyn every year. The society, which was held monthly meetings and yearly social activities, was at first restricted to Kaluszyners, but in 1923 it opened its membership to all Charleston Jews. Activities and membership declined after World War II and in 1967, the group sent all of their funds to the State of Israel and disbanded.
1.0 linear feet (1 flat box) : 1 minute book
A handwritten minute book of the Kalushiner Society of Charleston, South Carolina, from October 1927 through December 1936, mostly in Yiddish with some English. The Independent Kalushiner Society was a mutual aid society founded by Charleston residents who had immigrated from the shtetl of Kaluszyn in Poland. The society was founded in 1921 and provided members with benefits like no-interest loans, assistance when ill, and group insurance rates.
Materials are described at the item level.
Donated 2013 by Joseph Sokol
Processed by Lauren Bickel, August 2022.
- Sokol, Joseph (Donor, Person)
- Inventory of the Kalushiner Society Minute Book, 1927-1936
- Lauren Bickel
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections Repository
College of Charleston Libraries
66 George Street
Charleston South Carolina 29424
(843) 953-6319 (Fax)