Skip to main content

Temple of Israel (Greenville, S.C.) scrapbooks

Identifier: Mss 1050

Collection Overview

The collection consists of photocopies of three scrapbooks (1964-1978) compiled by Temple of Israel members. (The originals remain at Temple of Israel.) Scrapbooks contain news clippings pertaining to congregation members and civic affiliations; Sisterhood activities and fundraisers; mentions and explanations of religious services; articles about temple participation in ecumenical meetings; clippings re. work of temple rabbis; articles about prominent members of congregation; obituaries. It also includes mentions of lectures, luncheons and anniversary celebrations; Jeanet Dreskin's work with the Greenville County Museum School of Art; Jewish organization conferences held in Greenville; wedding announcements; etc. Majority of clippings are from the Greenville News or Greenville Piedmont. Scrapbook #1 includes article (published in 1929) about the history of Greenville's Jewish community and dedication of the temple.


  • Creation: 1964-1978


Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

Copyright Notice

The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.

The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.

Historical Note

The Jewish community of Greenville, South Carolina, first organized in 1911, when six Jewish families began meeting regularly in each others homes for discussion and religious observance. By 1917, a larger, more formally organized group held services in Greenville's public halls. In April 1929, The Temple of Israel, a Reform congregation, was officially dedicated. Services were conducted by lay leaders until 1937 when Rabbi Maurice M. Mazure was installed as the first full-time spiritual leader. In 1989 The Temple of Israel moved to a new location on Greenville's east side. By fall 2000, the congregation was 200 families strong and growing larger each year.


0.375 linear feet

Language of Materials


Acquisitions Information

Materials donated by Irving and Marjie Abrams for Temple of Israel.

Inventory of the Temple of Israel (Greenville, S.C.) Scrapbooks, 1964-1978
Processed by: Special Collections staff; finding aid created by: Special Collections staff
Description rules
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Special Collections
College of Charleston Libraries
66 George Street
Charleston South Carolina 29424
(843) 953-8016
(843) 953-6319 (Fax)