Skip to main content

Beth Israel Congregation (Beaufort, S.C.) records

 Collection
Identifier: Mss 1076

Collection Overview

Collection consists of original minute book and photocopied reproduction containing minutes of the regular monthly, annual, and special meetings of the officers of Beth Israel Congregation, as well as assorted supplementary information regarding the congregation including chronological lists of secretaries, reverends, rabbis, and treasurers from 1916 to 1963, a listing of congregational events from 1910 to 1946, and member donations and dues. Also included are real estate titles for the synagogue lot and cemetery lot and the congregation's long-term lease with the city of Beaufort.

Dates

  • 1905-1961

Creator

Language of Material

Materials in English

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research.

Copyright Notice

The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.

The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.

Historical Note

Chartered and incorporated in 1905, Beth Israel is a small Conservative congregation whose synagogue is located at 401 Scotts Street in Beaufort, South Carolina. Before the construction of the sanctuary, Beaufort Jews met in the Masonic Hall above a store on Bay Street. Some ceremonial functions were held in the large hall on the second floor of the Beaufort Arsenal on Craven Street. The synagogue was built in 1908, with Rabbi George Solomon of Savannah, Georgia, officiating at the dedication ceremony and the installation of Torah scrolls in the ark. In 1910, members of the congregation purchased land for a cemetery and, in 1920, acquired a parsonage for the religious leader. The social hall was added in the 1950s. Initially an Orthodox congregation, Beth Israel became Conservative in 1949.

Extent

0.35 linear feet (1 document box)

Abstract

Original minute book and photocopied reproduction, real estate titles, and long-term lease of Beth Israel, a small Conservative congregation in Beaufort, South Carolina.

Collection Arrangement

Materials are described at the folder level.

Acquisitions Information

Materials donated in 2009 by Rose Yospe Mark.

Related Material

Related materials in Special Collections include Beth Israel Cemetery: 906 Bladen Street, Beaufort, S.C. by Stanley B. Farbstein.

Processing Information

Processed by Joshua Minor, September 2012.

Creator

Source

Title
Inventory of the Beth Israel Congregation (Beaufort, S.C.) Records, 1905-1961
Status
Completed
Author
Processed by: Joshua Minor; machine-readable finding aid created by: Joshua Minor
Date
2012
Description rules
DACS
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Sponsor
Funding from the Council on Library and Information Resources supported the processing of this collection and encoding of the finding aid.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Repository

Contact:
Special Collections
College of Charleston Libraries
66 George Street
Charleston South Carolina 29424
(843) 953-8016
(843) 953-6319 (Fax)