Anderson Sisterhood minutes book
Original and photocopied regular monthly meeting minutes book of the Anderson Sisterhood of Temple B'nai Israel located in Anderson, South Carolina, from 1931 to 1939. Minutes record financial matters, including charitable donations and dues collected, elections of committee officers, new members, and committee reports read. Meeting minutes were recorded by sisterhood secretaries Mrs. Ted Fleishman, Mrs. Sam Rosenberg, and Mrs. W. W. Kesslir.
- Temple B'nai Israel (Anderson, S.C.). Sisterhood (Organization)
Language of Material
Materials in English
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
With the aid of Rabbi Gustave Falk, secretary of the Southeastern Conference of the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, Harry Geisberg (1891-1936) established the Anderson Sisterhood of Temple B'nai Israel in 1932 in Anderson, South Carolina. It was affiliated with the National Federation of Temple Sisterhoods, now known as Women of Reform Judaism, a philanthropic organization that raises funds for charities and rabbinic scholarships and educates congregational leaders in membership, fundraising, and leadership skills. To help raise funds the sisterhood sold Uniongrams, hand lettered greeting cards, the proceeds of which contributed to the training of young rabbis at the Union of American Hebrew Congregation, now known as the Union for Reform Judaism. In addition, the sisterhood organized the first Sunday school in Anderson, maintained membership in the Council of Church Women, which helped to supply milk to needy children, and contributed annually to various charities, including the American Red Cross, the Tuberculosis Association, the Children's Hospital, the Denver Tuberculosis Hospital in Denver, Colorado, and the Hebrew Orphan's Home in Atlanta, Georgia.
1 folder (1 item)
Original and photocopied monthly meeting minutes book of the Anderson Sisterhood of Temple B'nai Israel located in Anderson, South Carolina. The Anderson Sisterhood was affiliated with the National Federation of Temple Sisterhoods, now known as Women of Reform Judaism, and helped to raise funds for rabbinic scholarships and charities including the American Red Cross and the Hebrew Orphan's Home in Atlanta, Georgia.
Materials are arranged and described at the item level.
Materials donated in 2010 by David Draisen.
Processed by Joshua Minor, May 2012.
- Inventory of the Anderson Sisterhood Minutes Book, 1931-1939
- Processed by: Joshua Minor; machine-readable finding aid created by: Joshua Minor
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Funding from the Council on Library and Information Resources supported the processing of this collection and encoding of the finding aid.