African American women -- South Carolina -- Charleston -- Societies and clubs
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: AMN 1154
Abstract The Ess Tees Bridge Club was a recreational card playing social group which was founded by working class African-American women in the 1930’s. It is thought that the Ess Tees was an abbreviation of either ‘School Teachers’ or ‘Society of Teachers’. As the years continued, the Ess Tees managed to bring in new members, meeting on the second Saturday of each month. This collection offers a broad array of materials relating to the Ess Tees Bridge Club, including but not limited to photographs,...
Dates: 1951-2009 ; Majority of material found within 2000-2009
Identifier: AMN 1158
Abstract The League of Allied Arts (LAA) is an organization of Black women who celebrate and help to locally advance a plethora of elements of high culture. The organization was initially founded in Los Angeles, CA in 1939, however, Edwina Whitlock created a new branch of the organization upon her relocation back to Charleston, South Carolina in 1986. This collection highlights the documents from its foundation and earliest years, from 1986 to 1988. There are three series. Administrative includes...
Dates: 1983-1988; Majority of material found within 1986-1988
Identifier: AMN 1016
Abstract The Charleston South Carolina Chapter is part of the Links, Incorporated, a historically African-American national women's service organization committed to educational, cultural, and civic activities. The organization was founded in Philadelphia, PA in 1946; the Charleston chapter was organized in 1951. The collection consists of organizational and administrative records detailing civic and club activities of the Charleston Chapter of the Links focusing on their four program facets:...
Dates: 1951-2010; Majority of material found within 1962-2005
Identifier: AMN 1076
Abstract The membership of the Order of the Eastern Star (O.E.S.) Prince Hall affiliated chapters are comprised of female relatives of men who are in the Prince Hall Masonry. In 1875, the first subordinate chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star Prince Hall affliated chapter was created by Ancient Free and Accepted Masons (A.F & A.M.), Brother Thornton A. Jackson in Washington, D.C. The Charleston chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star began circa 1912 and are known as Prince Hall Chapter No....
Identifier: AMN 1029
Abstract Ethelyn Murray was born in 1895 to Georgie Westcott and Robert J. Murray, in Charleston, S.C. Murray attended the Simonton School and the Avery Normal Institute, graduating in 1914. Murray worked at Voorhees for nine years and in 1936, she moved back to Charleston. She married Sebastian L. Parker in 1939. In the 1940s, Parker took a writing correspondence course and upon completion, she began a column for The Lighthouse and Informer, an African American...
Dates: 1899-1992; Majority of material found within 1920-1980
Identifier: AMN 1031
Abstract The Phillis Wheatley Literary and Social Club was formed in 1916 under the direction of Jeannette Cox, wife of Avery Normal Institute principal Benjamin Cox. The club consisted of nineteen women members meeting to discuss literary works by such authors as W.E.B. DuBois, Carter G. Woodson and others. The club women also helped fulfill their mission to "lift as we climb" by taking an active role in Charleston's African American community by donating funds to such organizations as the YWCA,...
Identifier: AMN 1161
Abstract Inez A. Richardson, born in 1911, was the first licensed Black female barber in South Carolina. This collection concentrates primarily on Inez Richardson, however it also includes documents pertaining to the rest of the Richardson family. The collection documents Richardson’s involvement in the Rose of Sharon Tent, Southern District No. 4, from 1952 to 1984. The Rose of Sharon Tent was one of the Tents of the United Order of Tents, which is the only Christian Black women’s secret society. ...