African American women -- South Carolina -- Charleston -- Social life and customs
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Ess Tees Bridge Club records
Abstract The Ess Tees Bridge Club was a recreational card playing social group which was founded by working class African-American women in the 1930’s. It is thought that the Ess Tees was an abbreviation of either ‘School Teachers’ or ‘Society of Teachers’. As the years continued, the Ess Tees managed to bring in new members, meeting on the second Saturday of each month. This collection offers a broad array of materials relating to the Ess Tees Bridge Club, including but not limited to photographs,...
Dates: 1951-2009 ; Majority of material found within 2000-2009
League of Allied Arts records
Abstract The League of Allied Arts (LAA) is an organization of Black women who celebrate and help to locally advance a plethora of elements of high culture. The organization was initially founded in Los Angeles, CA in 1939, however, Edwina Whitlock created a new branch of the organization upon her relocation back to Charleston, South Carolina in 1986. This collection highlights the documents from its foundation and earliest years, from 1986 to 1988. There are three series. Administrative includes...
Dates: 1983-1988; Majority of material found within 1986-1988
Charleston S.C. Chapter of The Links, Incorporated papers
Identifier: AMN 1016
Abstract The Charleston South Carolina Chapter is part of the Links, Incorporated, a historically African-American national women's service organization committed to educational, cultural, and civic activities. The organization was founded in Philadelphia, PA in 1946; the Charleston chapter was organized in 1951. The collection consists of organizational and administrative records detailing civic and club activities of the Charleston Chapter of the Links focusing on their four program facets:...
Dates: 1951-2010; Majority of material found within 1962-2005
Phillis Wheatley Literary and Social Club papers
Identifier: AMN 1031
Abstract The Phillis Wheatley Literary and Social Club was formed in 1916 under the direction of Jeannette Cox, wife of Avery Normal Institute principal Benjamin Cox. The club consisted of nineteen women members meeting to discuss literary works by such authors as W.E.B. DuBois, Carter G. Woodson and others. The club women also helped fulfill their mission to "lift as we climb" by taking an active role in Charleston's African American community by donating funds to such organizations as the YWCA,...