Blamyer, Wigfall, Deas family collection
This collection consists of three diaries and scrapbooks of Elizabeth Mary Lesesne Blamyer Wigfall from 1836 to 1897. These contain clippings, poems, hymns, death notices, editorials and pressed plants. Handwritten entries discuss the marriage of her daughter, the birth of her grandchild, and attending services at St. Philip's Church. The Civil War diary, 1860-1865, notes the secession of the southern states, important battles and the destruction of Columbia, S.C., by General Sherman. This collection includes a diary of Frances Pogson Blamyer from 1824-1826. It contains a recipe for an injection and one for diseased gums, Christian poems and hymns. There is also a folder of genealogical material on the Pogson, Blamyer, Wigfall and Deas families compiled by Alston Deas, 1964-1975. Some members of the Blamyer family also use an alternative spelling: Blamyre. Included is a folder compiled by Milward Blamyer Deas Pinckney on "The offices, according to the use of the Church of England" (1776). This book was donated to the College in 1996 by Mrs. Pinckney and it records marriages, burials and baptisms for St. James Goose Creek church by Rev. Milward Pogson.
- Pogson, Milward, 1766-1836 (Person)
- Wigfall, Elizabeth Mary Lesesne Blamyer, 1819-1903 (Person)
- Blaymer, Frances Pogson, 1783-1869 (Person)
Language of Material
Materials in English.
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
0.25 linear feet (1 slim document box)
The bulk of this collection contains scrapbooks and diaries of Elizabeth Mary Lesesne Blamyer Wigfall.
Materials donated by Alston Deas and Milward Blamyer Deas Pinckney.
- Blamyer family
- Blamyre family
- Deas family
- Families -- Southern States -- Social life and customs -- 19th century
- Pogson family
- South Carolina -- History -- 19th century
- South Carolina -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- St. James Church (Goose Creek, S.C.)
- St. Philip's Church (Charleston, S.C.) -- History
- Wigfall family
- clippings (information artifacts)
- writings (documents)
- Inventory of the Blamyer, Wigfall, Deas Family Collection, 1824-1975
- Processed by: Special Collections staff; finding aid created by: Special Collections staff
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description