Tornadoes in Charleston
This collection consists of two typed reports, a map and newspaper clippings about the two tornadoes which hit Charleston, S.C. on the morning of September 29, 1938. The first report by John E. Lockwood (meteorologist U.S. Weather Bureau) gives a description of the tornadoes paths, building damage, numbers killed by tornadoes and the value of property damage. The second report follows up with eyewitness accounts from Mr. W.A. Brunson, Mr. R.C. Alderedge (Weather Bureau Office), Mr. J.F. Fox, Jr., Mr. J.R. DeMore, Captain George Lockwood, Mr. J.D. Elliot, and Dr. W.L. Coggin. These reports appear in the Yearbook of the City of Charleston, S.C., 1938. Also included in this collection are photocopies of newspaper articles from The News and Courier and The Charleston Evening Post, September 30 to October 8, 1938, which show photographs of the tornado damage to Charleston buildings. A 1938 map of the City of Charleston printed by the Office of Port Development shows the path of the tornadoes through the city.
Language of Material
Materials in English.
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
- Inventory of the Tornadoes in Charleston, 1938
- Processed by: Special Collections staff; finding aid created by: Special Collections staff
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description