Jewish Community Center papers
The administrative files mostly document planning for, financing, and building the new Jewish Community Center in suburban Charleston; with blueprints, architects Simons, Lapham, Mitchell and Small correspondence and a small amount of history. The largest series contains photographs documenting Jewish life and Jewish Community Center activities, ca. 1945 to 1998. Original order, when possible, was kept, there being topical and biographical files (including images, 1980s-1990s, of Russian immigrants), and files corresponding by date to images taken for and sometimes used in the newsletter, "Center Talk." The largest series documents day and residential Camps Baker, K'Tanim, Wesash and Juniper (in Cheraw, S.C.), sponsored by the Center. Also included are papers and photographs of the Friendship Club (1948-1990s) for Senior Citizens; and that of the Junior Booster and Booster Clubs, dedicated to fundraising for the Center. There are some papers of the Archives Committee, a few earlier (1920s-1940s) oversize photographs and reproductions, some ephemera and printed matter.
- Jewish Community Center (Charleston, S.C.) (Organization)
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
The Jewish community in Charleston, South Carolina, purchased a building at 54 George Street and opened it as a community center in May 1923, with Sam Rittenberg as President. The center's fortunes waxed and waned with the years, being run by volunteers, hosting a Hebrew School and other activities for children and adults. In 1945, after a span of inactivity, the organization was incorporated, and hired its first director, Nat Shulman; programs took place in the Charleston Hebrew Institute Building at 58 St. Philip Street. In 1959, the organization bought land West of the Ashley, opening its outdoor facilities there in 1963. In 1964, it sold its St. Philip Street building and opened in the new building on Millbrook (later Raoul Wallenberg) Drive in 1966. By the time it had celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1995, it had increased greatly in size and function, also being the site of Addlestone Hebrew Academy and the Sherman House for low income senior citizens.
7.75 linear feet
Language of Materials
Materials donated by the Jewish Community Center.
- Camp Baker (Charleston, S.C.)
- Camp Juniper (Cheraw, S.C.)
- Camp K'Tanim (Charleston, S.C.)
- Camp Wesash (Charleston, S.C.)
- Immigrants -- United States -- History
- Jewish Community Center (Charleston, S.C.)
- Jewish Community Center (Charleston, S.C.). Booster Club
- Jewish Community Center (Charleston, S.C.). Friendship Club
- Jewish Community Center (Charleston, S.C.). Junior Booster Club
- Jews -- South Carolina -- Charleston -- History
- Jews -- South Carolina -- Charleston -- Social life and customs
- Jews -- South Carolina -- Charleston -- Societies, etc.
- Russians -- South Carolina -- History
- Shulman, Nat, 1914-2000
- blueprints (reprographic copies)
- minutes (administrative records)
- negatives (photographs)
- printed ephemera
- Inventory of the Jewish Community Center Papers, 1920-1998
- Processed by:Special Collections staff ; finding aid created by: Special Collections staff
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description