H. Morris Cox research notes on the Charleston Poetic Renascence
This collection consists of 5x8 index cards which were used for research in: Cox, Headley Morris, Jr., Charleston Poetic Renascence, 1920-1930, Thesis (Ph.d.), University of Pennsylvania, 1958. The information included is about the literary South, the Poetry Society of South Carolina, the Charleston Renaissance, and the poems of W. Herbey Allen and DuBose Heyward. Other writers who contributed to the Charleston Renaissance are noted, along with a list of prizewinners in the contests sponsored by the Poetry Society of South Carolina, and a list of the volumes of poetry published by Charleston poets.
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Headley Morris Cox, Jr., was a professor of English at Clemson University.
1.0 linear feet
Language of Materials
- Allen, Hervey, 1889-1949
- American poetry -- 20th century -- History and criticism
- Authors, American -- South Carolina -- Charleston
- Bennett, John, 1865-1956
- Bennett, Susan Smythe, 1878-1965
- Bragg, Laura M. (Laura Mary), 1881-1978
- Carroll, Ellen M.
- Charleston (S.C.) -- History
- Charleston (S.C.) -- Intellectual life -- 20th century
- Charleston Library Society (Charleston, S.C.)
- Durham, Frank
- Fuller, Rex G.
- Heyward, DuBose, 1885-1940
- Heyward, Janie Screven DuBose, -1939
- Hyer, Helen von Kolnitz
- Jones, Elizabeth Warren
- McGowan, Clelia P.
- Pinckney, Josephine, 1895-1957
- Poetry -- Competitions
- Poetry Society of South Carolina
- Poets, American -- 20th century
- Ravenel, Beatrice Witte, 1870-1956
- Rutledge, Archibald, 1883-1973
- Simons, Katherine Drayton, 1890-1969
- Smith, Granville Paul, 1893-1947
- notes (documents)
- Inventory of the H. Morris Cox Research Notes on the Charleston Poetic Renascence, 1920-1930
- Processed by: Special Collections staff; finding aid created by: Special Collections staff
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections Repository
College of Charleston Libraries
66 George Street
Charleston South Carolina 29424
(843) 953-6319 (Fax)