Thomas F. Hartnett papers
The collection consists of correspondence regarding legislation that was proposed by Hartnett as well as legislation that he voted on during his tenure in the United States House of Representatives. It also includes copies of proposed legislation that was voted on by Hartnett in Congress.
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Thomas Forbes Hartnett was born in Charleston, S.C. on August 7, 1941. He graduated from Bishop England High School and attended the College of Charleston from 1960-61. He served in the Air Force Reserves (1963-69), the South Carolina State House of Representatives (1965-72), and the South Carolina Senate (1972-80). He was elected to the United States House of Representatives in 1980, and served in the House from 1981-1987.
9.0 linear feet
Language of Materials
- Hartnett, Thomas F. (Thomas Forbes), 1941- -- Correspondence
- Legislators -- United States
- Political parties -- South Carolina -- History -- 20th century
- Politicians -- South Carolina
- South Carolina -- History -- 20th century
- South Carolina -- Politics and government -- 1951-
- United States. Congress. House
- Inventory of the Thomas F. Hartnett papers, 1983-1987
- Processed by: Special Collections staff; finding aid created by: Special Collections staff
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description