LaSaine, Mary Alice, 1886-1957
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Identifier: AMN 1089
Abstract The Herman B. LaSaine collection consists of numerous letters to Herman B. LaSaine. Mr. LaSaine is the son of Mrs. Mary Alice LaSaine one of the most prominent African-American educators in the Charleston area and the Low Country. The correspondence sent to Mr. LaSaine obtained in the collection, ranges from the time period of 1936 to 1941. The content of the collection of typical personal correspondence between Mr. LaSaine and impersonal communication from various institutions concerning...
Identifier: AMN 1020
Abstract Albertha Johnston Murray (1889-1969) was an African American educator born in Charleston, South Carolina to William Henry and Mary Ellen Virgin Johnston. Murray retired from the teaching profession in 1959, and remained active in numerous educational, social, and humanitarian organizations. Murray-LaSaine Elementary School was named in her honor along with Mary Alice LaSaine. She married Richard Gailliard Murray and had one daughter, Hazel Albertha Murray Stewart. The collection consist of...
- African American school principals -- South Carolina -- James Island 1
- African American teachers -- South Carolina -- Charleston 1
- African American women -- South Carolina -- Societies and clubs 1
- African Americans -- Education -- South Carolina -- James Island 1
- African Americans -- Education -- South Carolina -- Charleston 1