African American Episcopalians
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Henry Grant papers
Identifier: AMN 1011
Abstract Henry Lacy Grant (1925-1990) was born in North Augusta, Georgia to Henry L. Grant and Lillie Lacy Grant. An ordained Episcopal priest, Father Grant served the East Side community of Charleston, South Carolina for over twenty years as director of St. John's Mission Center and priest of St. Stephen's Episcopal Church. Father Grant is buried at Live Oak Memorial Gardens in Charleston, South Carolina. The collection consists of correspondence, newspaper clippings, compilations, and miscellaneous...
Reverend Stephen Bradford Mackey papers
Identifier: AMN 1116
Abstract Reverend Stephen Bradford McIver Mackey (1901-1984), an African American Episcopal minister, served the congregation at Calvary Episcopal Church in Charleston, South Carolina as Priest in 1935 and Rector from 1940-1972. He also held the position of priest-in-charge of Epiphany Church, Summerville, SC from 1934-1940 and St. Andrew's Church, Charleston County from 1940-1972. His wife, Naomi Mackey was the Diocesan President of the Negro Branch of Woman's Auxiliary and organized the church's...
Dates: 1900-1993; Majority of material found within 1925-1980
Mt. Zion AME Church records
Identifier: AMN 1026
Abstract Mt. Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church was founded in 1882 in Charleston, South Carolina after the church divided from Emmanuel AME Church in Charleston, due to its inability to accommodate all its members. The new congregation, led by Norman B. Sterrett, purchased the Zion Presbyterian Church building on Glebe Street. The collection consist of two separate series, each in chronological order. The first series of member and financial records contains information regarding members of the...
St. Mark's Episcopal Church records
Identifier: AMN 1121
Abstract St. Mark's Episcopal Church was organized as an independent parish in 1865 by a group of prominent black Episcopalians who were without a place to worship- since most of the white Episcopalian churches were evacuated in Charleston as a result of the city's occupation by Union Forces. The church's first service was held on Easter Sunday, April 16, 1865. The congregation continued to grow and in 1870 a lot at the corner of Warren and Thomas Streets in historic Radcliffeboro was purchased for...