Skip to main content

Morris College - Baptist Conventions collection

 Collection
Identifier: AMN 1126

Collection Overview

The Morris College – Baptist Conventions Collection, 2.9 linear feet, consists of minutes for Baptist conventions from all over South Carolina, the Morris College – Baptist Conventions Collection documents activities within the Baptist Church from 1867 through 1972. The organizations are arranged by the name used on the minutes for each year, and it should be noted that some organization names changed over time. These materials are on permanent loan to the Avery Research Center from Morris College.

Dates

  • 1867-1972

Creator

Language of Materials

Material is in English

Access Restrictions

No restrictions.

Copyright Notice

The nature of the Avery Research Center's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The Avery Research Center claims only physical ownership of most archival materials. The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.

Historical note

On April 12, 1911, Morris College received a certificate of incorporation from the state of South Carolina. Initially, Morris College provided schooling on the elementary, high school, and college levels. The college curriculum included programs in liberal arts, in "normal" education for the certification of teachers, and a theological program. In 1915, the Bachelor of Arts degree was conferred on the first two graduates. The institution discontinued its "normal" program in 1929, its elementary school in 1930, and its high school in 1946.

During 1930-32, the school operated only as a junior college, but it resumed its full four-year program in 1933. The word "Negro" appearing in the original certificate of incorporation was eliminated on August 14, 1961 thereby opening the doors at Morris to students of all ethnic groups.

Extent

3.0 linear feet (8 archival boxes)

Abstract

Morris College, in Sumter, South Carolina, received its charter from the Baptist Educational and Missionary Convention of South Carolina in 1906. The College received its certificate of incorporation from the state of South Carolina in 1911. Initially, Morris College provided schoolin on the elementary, high school, and college levels, including "normal" education for the certification of teachers. The Morris College - Baptist Conventions Collection (1867-1972) consists of minutes from Baptist Conventions from all over South Carolina. The materials are on permanent loan to the Avery Research Center from Morris College.

Collection Arrangement

1. Baptist Conventions

Related Material

Woman's Baptist Educational & Missionary Convention of South Carolina papers, 1867-2007 [AMN 1037]

Processing Information

Processed by Milton Achelpohl, August 2013

Encoded by Aaron Spelbring, February 2014

Title
Inventory of the Morris College--Baptist Conventions Collection, 1867 - 1972
Author
Processed by: Milton Achelpohl; machine-readable finding aid created by: Aaron Spelbring
Date
© 2014
Description rules
DACS
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Description is in English

Repository Details

Part of the Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture Repository

Contact:
125 Bull Street
Charleston South Carolina 29424 United States
843-953-7608