Skip to main content

Owl's Whist Club records

 Collection
Identifier: AMN 1091

Collection Overview

The collection documents the history of the Owl's Whist Club of Charleston, South Carolina, from 1924-1989. Materials include administrative papers consisting of meeting minutes, constitution and by-laws, and governing rules; financial material made up of receipts, membership dues documentation, and transaction books. Other membership material includes membership rosters. In addition, the events conducted by the club can be traced through the programs and invitations over the course of thirty years.

Dates

  • 1924-1989

Creator

Access Restrictions

No restrictions.

Copyright Notice

The nature of the Avery Research Center's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The Avery Research Center claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.

The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.

Historical Note

The Owl's Whist Club was founded by sixteen African American men on February 14, 1914 in Charleston, South Carolina. The purpose of the club was to provide these men an opportunity to play cards, socialize, and discuss social issues.

For nearly twenty-five years, the club members would host monthly meetings in their homes or rent space from halls. It was not until 1939 -- after the club's 25th anniversary celebration -- that they decided to purchase land. In 1945, two lots were purchased from Leola Ezekiel in Ashleyville, South Carolina for $300. The club charged an assessment to each of its members for the cost of construction, totaling $20,000. The club building was designed by H.A. DeCosta and built by Thomas Pickney in 1947. It is referred to as the Roost.

In 1945, the club became incorporated.

The Owl's Whist Club remains a social organization for professional African American men and is still active today. The group will celebrate its centennial anniversary in 2014.

Extent

2.25 linear feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Owl's Whist Club was founded by sixteen African American men on February 14, 1914 in Charleston, South Carolina. The purpose of the club was to provide these men an opportunity to play cards, socialize, and discuss social issues. The Owl's Whist Club remains a social organization for professional African American men and is still active today.

Abstract

The collection documents the history of the Owl's Whist Club of Charleston, South Carolina, from 1924-1989. Materials include administrative papers consisting of meeting minutes, constitution and by-laws, and governing rules; financial material made up of receipts, membership dues documentation, and transaction books. Other membership material includes membership rosters. In addition, the events conducted by the club can be traced through the programs and invitations over the course of thirty years.

Collection Arrangement

1. Administrative Material, 1924-1989

2. Financial Records, 1949-1984

3. Committees, 1949-1984

4. Membership Material, 1952-1978

5. Events, 1954-1984

6. Other Material, 1951-1981

General Physical Description note

(5 archival boxes)

Processing Information

Processed by Melissa Bronheim, March 2010

Encoded by Melissa Bronheim, March 2010

Edited by Amanda Ross, May 2010

Funding from the Council on Library and Information Resources supported the collection processing and encoding of this finding aid.

Creator

Title
Inventory of the Owl's Whist Club Records, 1924 - 1989 AMN 1091
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Processed by: Melissa Bronheim; machine-readable finding aid created by: Melissa Bronheim
Description rules
Dacs
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Description is in English
Sponsor
Funding from the Council on Library and Information Resources supported the collection processing and encoding of this finding aid.

Repository Details

Part of the Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture Repository

Contact:
125 Bull Street
Charleston South Carolina 29424 United States
843-953-7608