Skip to main content

YWCA of Greater Charleston, Inc., records

 Collection
Identifier: AMN 1078

Collection Overview

The collection documents the founding and history of the Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) in Charleston, South Carolina as well as the administrative and operational functions of Charleston's YWCA for over a century. Includes by-laws and constitutions; financial documents such as purchase agreements and insurance documents; meeting minutes, agendas, and board correspondence; social event materials such as invitations; and memorabilia such as photographs, scrapbooks, programs, and newspaper clippings. Materials prior to 1969 chiefly relate to the Central YWCA's Coming Street branch, which served the African American communities in Charleston and the lowcounty. Post-1969 materials document the operations of the newly formed, integrated YWCA of Greater Charleston, Inc., the charter of which followed the disaffiliation of the white George Street branch. Of note are the 1972 copies of legal proceedings documenting the lawsuit between the National YWCA and the YWCA of Charleston, South Carolina, for infringement of trademarks and breach of contract after the Charleston branch disaffiliated itself from the national organization in 1969.

Dates

  • 1906-2007

Creator

Access Restrictions

No restrictions.

Copyright Notice

The nature of the Avery Research Center's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. The Avery Research Center claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.

The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.

Historical Note

The Young Women's Christian Association of Greater Charleston, which originated in 1907, has served communities in Charleston and the lowcountry area of South Carolina for over a century. Currently, the YWCA of Greater Charleston, Inc., strives to provide programs and services for all people and holds a mission to eliminate racism and to empower women.

On July 4, 1907, ten women, who were part of the Women's Auxiliary to Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA), founded what would become the Coming Street branch of the YWCA in Charleston, South Carolina. In October 1910, the women secured a charter, and in 1911, the group purchased a house at 106 Coming Street for $2,450. This new YWCA, serving African Americans and referred to as the colored branch, received state and national charters and functioned as a separate entity for 13 years. In 1918, the organization received $3000 from the National War Council, after which the War Work Council used the Coming Street YWCA Branch facility as its temporary headquarters.

In 1920, the Coming Street branch became a part of Charleston's Central YWCA as well as a member of the National YWCA, which allowed for the branch to pay off their mortgage. Between 1920 and 1969, the Coming Street YWCA functioned as a branch of the Central YWCA.

Prior to the Civil Rights movement, the Charleston YWCA operated racially segregated branches. In the 1960s, the National YWCA passed resolutions against segregation and put pressure on local organizations to integrate facilities and services. Objecting to the National YWCA's support of various public policy issues during 1966 and 1967, the George Street YWCA, whose membership was exclusively white, voted to disaffiliate from the National YWCA.

On June 3, 1967, the Coming Stret YWCA held an organizational meeting to initiate plans for a new Community YWCA and the YWCA of Greater Charleston was born. The National Board of the YWCA voted to disaffiliate the Charleston YWCA chapter on March 15, 1969 in favor of the newly created YWCA of Greater Charleston. Receiving a state charter in March 1969 and a national charter in February 1970, the YWCA of Greater Charleston, Inc., became the only nationally sanctioned YWCA in the Trident region.

As of 2009, the YWCA of Greater Charleston, Inc., maintained its headquarters at 106 Coming Street.

Extent

15.0 linear feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Young Women's Christian Association of Greater Charleston, which originated in 1907, has served communities in Charleston and the lowcountry area of South Carolina for over a century. Currently, the YWCA of Greater Charleston, Inc., strives to provide programs and services for all people and holds a mission to eliminate racism and to empower women.

The collection documents the founding and history of the Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA) in Charleston, South Carolina as well as the administrative and operational functions of Charleston's YWCA for over a century. Includes by-laws and constitutions; financial documents such as purchase agreements and insurance documents; meeting minutes, agendas, and board correspondence; social event materials such as invitations; and memorabilia such as photographs, scrapbooks, programs, and newspaper clippings. Materials prior to 1969 chiefly relate to the Central YWCA's Coming Street branch, which originally served the African American communities of Charleston and the lowcounty. Post-1969 materials document the operations of the newly formed, integrated YWCA of Greater Charleston, Inc., the charter of which followed the disaffiliation of the white George Street branch. Of note are the 1972 copies of legal proceedings documenting the lawsuit between the National YWCA and the YWCA of Charleston, South Carolina, for infringement of trademarks and breach of contract after this Charleston branch disaffiliated itself from the national organization in 1969.

Collection Arrangement

1. Legal Documents, 1906-1939

2. Founding Documents and Other Materials, 1913-1971

3. Administrative Material, 1918-2005

4. Miscellaneous Administrative Materials, 1910-2004

5. Photographs, 1950-2005

6. Programs, 1972-2005

7. Scrapbooks, 1952-1988

8. Newspaper Clippings, 1951-2007

9. Audio/Visual Materials, 1975-1994

Acquisitions Information

Received from the YWCA of Greater Charleston, Inc., in April 2007.

Physical Description

(6 archival boxes, 6 record cartons, 4 special format boxes)

Processing Information

Processed by Melissa Bronheim, August 2009

Encoded by Melissa Bronheim, October 2009

Edited by Amanda Ross, October 2009

Funding from the Council on Library and Information Resources supported the collection processing and encoding of this finding aid.

Title
Inventory of the YWCA of Greater Charleston, Inc., Records, 1906 - 2007 AMN 1078
Status
Completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Processed by: Melissa Bronheim; machine-readable finding aid created by: Melissa Bronheim and edited by Edited by Amanda Ross
Date
October 2009
Description rules
DACS
Language of description
English
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Description is in English
Sponsor
Funding from the Council on Library and Information Resources supported the encoding of this finding aid.

Repository Details

Part of the Avery Research Center for African American History and Culture Repository

Contact:
125 Bull Street
Charleston South Carolina 29424 United States
843-953-7608