Wolff family papers
Collection contains 37 letters, handwritten in gothic German with some passages in Yiddish and Hebrew. Letters contain correspondence (1873-1899) between members of the Wolff family in Germany and Henry Wolff in Allendale, SC. Several letters written on Henry Wolff's business letterhead, "Henry Wolff/Dealer in General Merchandise, Cotton and Fertilizers/Allendale, SC." Most correspondence is dated; many letters came from Rogowo (now part of Poland); several letters written to Henry Wolff from relatives in New York. A number of letters appear to be incomplete and one group is not dated. Letters have been photocopied and translated. Papers also contain material Lena Pearlstine Berkman (donor's great-aunt) used to teach the Wolff children Hebrew; includes book (1868), "The American Hebrew Primer: an easy method of teaching," by L. Aufrecht, and two copy books (ca. 1920) of notes used to guide students (Sura Wolff Wengrow included) through Hebrew lessons.
- Wolff (Family : Allendale, S.C.) (Family)
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Henry (Heimann) Wolff emigrated from Germany in the 1800s. He settled in Allendale, South Carolina, and ran Wolff Department Store, a general merchandise business that sold items from cotton to coffins. Wolff married Rachel (Ray) Pearlstine of Branchville, SC, and had three children, Cecile, Sura and Louis. He died in 1914 from pneumonia.
0.375 linear feet
Language of Materials
Materials donated by Sura Wolff Wengrow.
- Hebrew language -- Study and teaching
- Jewish merchants -- South Carolina -- Allendale -- History
- Jewish religious education -- South Carolina -- Allendale -- History
- Jews -- South Carolina -- Allendale -- History
- Wolfe family
- Wolff, Henry, 1849-1914 -- Correspondence
- Wolff, Michael -- Correspondence
- Wolff, Moritz -- Correspondence
- Wolff, Pauline -- Correspondence
- Wolff, Samuel -- Correspondence
- copybooks (instructional materials)
- Berkman, Lena Pearlstine, 1849-1939 (Former owner, Person)
- Wengrow, Sura Wolff, 1908-2016 (Donor, Person)
- Inventory of the Wolff Family Papers, 1873-1920
- Processed by: Special Collections staff ; finding aid created by: Special Collections staff
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Special Collections Repository
College of Charleston Libraries
66 George Street
Charleston South Carolina 29424
(843) 953-6319 (Fax)