Sam Appel athletic patches and ephemera
Collection consists of four patches for participation on the JCC ping pong and basketball teams and the AZA Physical Fitness Summer Tournament, a silver identification bracelet, a Carolinas Association of the Amateur Athletic Union of the United States a membership card, a season pass for the College of Charleston's 1947-1948 basketball season, and a Boy Scouts of America, Troop 21 certificate.
- circa 1944-1951
- Appel, Samuel, 1929- (Person)
Language of Material
Materials in English
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Samuel Appel (1929- ), son of Abraham (1890-1962) and Ida Goldberg (1900-1985) Appel, grew up on St. Philip Street in Charleston, South Carolina. His family attended Beth Israel synagogue for a time and later switched to the conservative Synagogue Emanu-El. Appel graduated from Charleston High School in 1946. He was involved with the Boy Scouts of America (Troop 21), Aleph Zadik Aleph (AZA), and the Charleston Jewish Community Center (JCC), where he participated in sports and coached a girls' basketball team.
8 items (1 folder)
This collection includes athletic patches and other ephemera of Samuel Appel (1929-), a Charleston, South Carolina, native. Materials relate to Appel's participation in the Charleston Jewish Community Center, the Boy Scouts of America, and Aleph Zadik Aleph (AZA).
Materials are described at the item level.
Materials donated on March 17, 2008 by Samuel Appel. ID bracelet donated by Fannie Rones.
Processed by Anne Bennett, July 2011.
Encoded by Sarah Dorpinghaus, February 2012.
Reviewed and uploaded by Martha McTear, February 2012.
Funding from the Council on Library and Information Resources supported the processing of this collection and encoding of the finding aid.
- Aleph Zadik Aleph. Charleston Chapter
- Appel, Samuel, 1929-
- Athletics -- South Carolina -- Charleston
- Boy Scouts of America. Troop 21 (Charleston, S.C.)
- Jewish Community Center (Charleston, S.C.)
- Jewish athletes -- South Carolina -- Charleston
- Jews -- Sports -- South Carolina -- Charleston
- Sports -- South Carolina -- Charleston
- identification bracelets
- membership cards
- Inventory of the Sam Appel Athletic Patches and Ephemera, circa 1944-1951
- Processed by: Anne Bennett; machine-readable finding aid created by: Sarah Dorpinghaus
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Funding from the Council on Library and Information Resources supported the processing of this collection and encoding of the finding aid.