S.A.C. formal pajama dance photograph
Group portrait of the S.A.C. formal pajama dance taken on October 17, 1929, at the Jewish Community Center on George Street near St. Philip Street in Charleston, South Carolina. Karl Karesh is pictured in the first row, fourth from the right. Additional individuals are identified.
Language of Material
Materials in English
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Biographical and Historical Note
In a communal effort to meet the needs of the Charleston Jewish community, the Jewish Community Center (JCC) was formed in 1922, was housed in a three-story brick building on George Street near St. Philip Street, and had as its first president, Sam Rittenberg. Financial problems in the 1930s brought the organization to an end. The present Jewish Community Center dates from 1945, again growing out of community efforts, in cooperation with the Jewish Welfare Board, to serve Jewish servicemen and women during World War II. Housed in a two-story yellow-brick faced building at 58 St. Philip Street, the center shared the building with the Charleston Hebrew Institute, which deeded the building to the JCC in 1952. In 1959, the center purchased twenty-five acres of land on Millbrook Drive, later renamed Wallenberg Boulevard. In June of 1963 the JCC opened its outdoor facilities, and in February of 1966, after selling the St. Philip Street building to the College Prepatory School in 1964, moved into its new building on Millbrook Drive. By the time it had celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1995, it had increased greatly in size and function, becoming the site of the Addlestone Hebrew Academy, formerly the Charleston Hebrew Academy, and the Sherman House for low income senior citizens.
Karl Karesh (1912-1997) was born in Charleston, South Carolina. In 1946, after serving in the air force in World War II, Karesh, with Max Krawchek, opened Karl Karesh Men's Apparel on 371 King Street. The store would move twice, once in 1955, three doors up the street to a larger store, and finally, in 1970, to 301 King Street. In addition to the store on King Street, Karesh opened Karl Karesh Limited in West Ashley. Karesh retired from the clothing business in 1982.
1 folder (1 photograph)
Group portrait of the S.A.C. formal pajama dance taken on October 17, 1929, at the Jewish Community Center on George Street near St. Philip Street in Charleston, South Carolina.
Materials are arranged and described at the item level.
Materials donated by Karl and Rosalyn Karesh.
Processed by Joshua Minor, September 2011.
- S.A.C. formal pajama dance photograph, 1929
- Processed by: Joshua Minor; machine-readable finding aid created by: Joshua Minor
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Funding from the Council on Library and Information Resources supported the processing of this collection and encoding of the finding aid.