The Congregation "Beth Elohim" of Charleston, S.C. pamphlet
A typescript and photocopy of Nathaniel Levin's history of Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim in Charleston, South Carolina, from 1750 to 1883. The pamphlet was published in the 1883 Year Book of the City of Charleston, pages 301-316, and is based on his 1843 history published in The Occident.
- Levin, Nathaniel (Person)
Language of Material
Materials in English
This collection is open for research.
The nature of the College of Charleston's archival holdings means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. Special Collections claims only physical ownership of most archival materials.
The materials from our collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. copyright law. The user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim (KKBE) was organized in 1749 in Charleston, South Carolina, following the Sephardic ritual. Friction with the growing number of Ashkenazic members led the Sephardic group to withdraw in 1775; however, by 1790, the two factions had reunited. A year later, Beth Elohim was incorporated and, in 1794, dedicated a synagogue on Hasell Street. In 1824, forty-seven dissenters petitioned the governing body to introduce reforms. Rebuffed, the petitioners proceeded to create a separate organization, the Reformed Society of Israelites, which functioned on its own until 1835 or 1836, by which date, most members had rejoined the congregation. Beth Elohim's building was lost in the 1838 fire; a temporary tabernacle was constructed on the site and a new building was completed in 1841. The installation of an organ in the sanctuary prompted a schism; many congregants withdrew to form the orthodox Shearit Israel. After the Civil War, the two congregations negotiated a merger and made compromises in ritual. In 1872, another organ was introduced, and the next year KKBE became a charter member of the Reform Union of American Hebrew Congregations.
1 folder (2 items)
A typescript and photocopy of Nathaniel Levin's history of Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim in Charleston, South Carolina, from 1750 to 1883. The pamphlet was published in the 1883 Year Book of the City of Charleston.
Materials described at the item level.
Materials were donated by Mordenai Raisin Hirsch and Rachel M. Raisin.
Processed by Sarah Dorpinghaus, December 2011.
- Inventory of the The Congregation "Beth Elohim" of Charleston, S.C. pamphlet, 1883
- Processed by: Sarah Dorpinghaus; machine-readable finding aid created by: Sarah Dorpinghaus
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Funding from the Council on Library and Information Resources supported the processing of this collection and encoding of the finding aid.