Showing Collections: 1 - 1 of 1
Identifier: AMN 1012
Abstract The Avery Normal Institute was established by the American Missionary Association (AMA) in Charleston, South Carolina in 1865. The Institute originally served as a school for former slaves and free persons of color, providing normal (or, teacher) training to students pursuing careers in education. The school eventually became known just as Avery Institute, operating as a high school with financial support from the AMA until 1947, when it became part of Charleston's segregated public school...