Showing Collections: 1 - 1 of 1
Identifier: AMN 1121
Abstract St. Mark's Episcopal Church was organized as an independent parish in 1865 by a group of prominent black Episcopalians who were without a place to worship- since most of the white Episcopalian churches were evacuated in Charleston as a result of the city's occupation by Union Forces. The church's first service was held on Easter Sunday, April 16, 1865. The congregation continued to grow and in 1870 a lot at the corner of Warren and Thomas Streets in historic Radcliffeborough was purchased...