Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 1 of 1

McClennan-Banks Memorial Hospital collection

 Collection
Identifier: AMN 1058
Abstract From 1896 until 1959, the Hospital and Training School for Nurses, Incorporated (Chartered 1897) provided education and training for African-American nurses to assist physicians and serve the medical needs of the local community. Located at 135 Cannon Street until 1959, this first building and hospital moved to 25 Courtenay Drive, and would become McClennan-Banks Memorial Hospital. Named in honor of Anna DeCosta Banks, its founder and first head nurse this hospital operated until 1977. The...
Dates: 1898-1997, undated

Filtered By

  • Names: Hospital and Training School for Nurses (Charleston, S.C.) X
  • Names: McFall, Thomas Carr, Dr., 1908-1969 X
  • Names: Brown, Lucy Hughes, Dr., 1863-1911 X
  • Subject: African American nurses X